Ranked Skywars

Kappug

Ranked Skywars

Introduction

Since the state of skywars on NetherGames is entirely submerged, trudging below 50 players during peak hours, I believe that ranked skywars would both draw more attention to skywars, and also add a concentratively competitive game mode to the server. Sure, you could say that bedwars, duels, the bridge, and skywars are all competitive in themselves, but games can easily be played in all of these game modes that aren't "sweaty". I'm aware that there is an upcoming update to skywars, that I am confident will greatly increase the popularity, and I think that a competitive game mode to skywars would be a good addition to such update. If not, it could definitely be added in a future update.

How it would work

· 4 players start in a map with 4 starting islands and a middle island.
· Players will be able to choose from any kit in the kit menu.
· If a player wins a game, they gain a certain amount of rating.
· If a player loses a game, and has rating, they will lose a portion of that rating.
· At the end of a "season" (every month), the top players with the most amount of rating will be
rewarded with a certain prize (the following are my ideas):
· Experience/levels
· Credits
· Cosmetics that are unique/can only be acquired from winning a ranked season
· Rank upgrades
· The ranked season would reset after the season (month) is over.
· Since it is a competitive game mode, players should probably have some sort of authority (tier, lvl) to be able to play, to further increase competitivity, and also cut down on the issue below.

The hacking problem

Because of the competitive aspect and rewards of ranked skywars, some players will be inclined to cheat. One example of this is on the popular java Minecraft server, Hypixel, where almost all the players on the ranked skywars leaderboard are cheating in some way. However, NetherGames has been inducing noticeable changes in their AntiCheat. I have personally observed a drastic decrease in the number of hackers I've seen in games. Even if hackers do manage to bypass the AntiCheat, they most likely will not last the entire ranked skywars season without being banned. Another way this could be prevented is by making requirements for playing ranked skywars. Hackers are generally banned multiple times on different accounts. If requirements are put in place, then hackers will not be able to play ranked skywars with a fresh account.

Conclusion

As a conclusion, ranked skywars would be a neat way to play games with a competitive player base, and could definitely be a factor in the revival of the skywars gamemode. If you like this suggestion, please click the up arrow at the top right of this post. Thank you so much for reading!

LargeKnome

Game Designer
Staff member

It's an interesting idea but I don't think skywars has the playerbase to support a full ranked mode - we'd need it to become a much more popular mode first

Tektion

Mod
Staff member
Mod
Reports Division
Designer

Cool concept, but I gotta agree with LARGEknome

LargeKnome

Game Designer
Staff member

Yes... that is why I stated in the suggestion that it should be included with the skywars update, which should *hopefully* bring the player count up.
Something like that would only be worked on once we know it has the playerbase, not included with the rework

Spiff096066

Cool idea, but, like everyone else says, SW needs more players for this to work. Maybe applying the same concept to Bedwars could work. I would certainly be down for a Bedwars mode with increased challenge, stakes, and difficulty, and it already has the required player base for someting like this to work well.