An update on our projects

Hello NetherGames community!

we have been quiet for some time, and we know that many of you wait for updates to happen. This post aims to explain a bit what we are currently working on and why these projects are so important for us.

As always, thanks for reading, and have a great week!

AntiCheat​

This is probably what most of you have waited for, and yes, it is happening. We are working on a new, improved anticheat. As mention in previous blogs, cheaters are a noticable issue on NetherGames and we do not want to neglect that. It is currently live on BedWars, Duels and The Bridge for testing.
Making an AntiCheat takes quite a substential amount of time to not only develop, but also to tweak values and thresholds so they make the best compromise:
detecting cheaters while also not impacting legit gameplay.
We look forward to having the AntiCheat deployed completely. You might even see another dev blog about it by @MrPotato101.

Matchmaking​

We are currently working on decoupling system components from our actual game servers. That will bring the advantage that we can update certain components of the network without taking the entire network of it offline, but instead we simply update the component itself. We started on this with the Matchmaking system.
Matchmaking is quite a complex process, there are a lot of variables in it: region of the player, region queueing, touch queueing preferences, available regions, player counts.. The list is long.
Until now, this was done by the actual game servers. In the soon time, we are gonna deploy the Matchmaker as a standalone service. That way, we can make changes to it without you even noticing we changed anything (Otherwise we would have to restart all servers).

Note: The downtime that happened yesterday (10.11.2021) was caused by this rework. We fixed some final bugs and the system is now live on all servers and working well.

Message Broker API update​

As outlined in a previous dev blog, NetherGames various services communicate using an in-house message broker. That message broker was written by me 2 years ago and served well, but the code of it is outdated and hard to use. That's why we have been working on updating it.
The question arises: Why do we change something that works? (Related to the programmer rule "Never change a running system").
The answer is simple: Cleaner code is easier to work with. That is especially important when hiring new Infrastructure developers. If you start your job and on the first day you see code that looks like it was written in 2010, it's not exactly a motivating sight.
In an optimal case, you shouldn't even notice us changing things. But believe me, we developers do notice.

Secret things I can't tell you about​

The title says it all. We have been working on reworking some existing gamemodes and creating new ones for all of you who crave more variation in games.
We also have some plans regarding resource packs, but we will update you on that once we have released them.

we have been quiet for some time, and we know that many of you wait for updates to happen. This post aims to explain a bit what we are currently working on and why these projects are so important for us.

AntiCheat​

This is probably what most of you have waited for, and yes, it is happening. We are working on a new, improved anticheat. As mention in previous blogs, cheaters are a noticable issue on NetherGames and we do not want to neglect that. It is currently live on BedWars, Duels and The Bridge for testing.
Making an AntiCheat takes quite a substential amount of time to not only develop, but also to tweak values and thresholds so they make the best compromise:
We look forward to having the AntiCheat deployed completely. You might even see another dev blog about it by @MrPotato101.

Matchmaking​

We are currently working on decoupling system components from our actual game servers. That will bring the advantage that we can update certain components of the network without taking the entire network of it offline, but instead we simply update the component itself. We started on this with the Matchmaking system.
Matchmaking is quite a complex process, there are a lot of variables in it: region of the player, region queueing, touch queueing preferences, available regions, player counts.. The list is long.
Until now, this was done by the actual game servers. In the soon time, we are gonna deploy the Matchmaker as a standalone service. That way, we can make changes to it without you even noticing we changed anything (Otherwise we would have to restart all servers).

Note: The downtime that happened yesterday (10.11.2021) was caused by this rework. We fixed some final bugs and the system is now live on all servers and working well.

As outlined in a previous dev blog, NetherGames various services communicate using an in-house message broker. That message broker was written by me 2 years ago and served well, but the code of it is outdated and hard to use. That's why we have been working on updating it.
The question arises: Why do we change something that works? (Related to the programmer rule "Never change a running system").
The answer is simple: Cleaner code is easier to work with. That is especially important when hiring new Infrastructure developers. If you start your job and on the first day you see code that looks like it was written in 2010, it's not exactly a motivating sight.
In an optimal case, you shouldn't even notice us changing things. But believe me, we developers do notice.

The title says it all. We have been working on reworking some existing gamemodes and creating new ones for all of you who crave more variation in games.
We also have some plans regarding resource packs, but we will update you on that once we have released them.
when is the update coming out when

Elit3charge

Crew
Staff member
Crew

These new games are going to be epic can’t wait for them to fully release.

DARKLVIPER

Amazing work, I didn't realised Our NG team is working so hard for us, finally we can be free from hackers

Skeletron017381

Crew
Staff member
Crew

I can't wait for everything we have planned in the future to finally be released. I hope these updates will improve the experience for all players.

awskr

AntiCheat​

Matchmaking​

When I first read this, I was so happy.
When it first came out, well, it’s still useless trash.