A small dev info: Understanding your ping

Hello NetherGames community,

throughout the last time we have repeatedly seen people complaining about high pings and issues with pings and we believe that for players to judge on their ping, they need to understand how NetherGames' region system is working.

We are currently operating
6 Proxies in three regions of the world (EU, US, AP)
Around 85 game servers spread over those regions as well.

Now, it's important to mention that the server you are initially online when joining should not be used as an indicator for your ping, as the first server is selected randomly and does not take regions into account.

In general, pings are split up in two parts, Upstream and Downstream.

The upstream latency is the latency between your Minecraft client and the NetherGames region proxy you are currently connected to. If that's high, then your internet connection is bad or you are connected to a region which is far away from you (use play.nethergames.org to automatically join the closest region possible).

The downstream latency is the latency between our proxy and the game server you are currently connected to. If it is high, this can have one main reasons:

You are connected to a disabled region: To save resources, if a certain region has less than a specified amount of players, it gets disabled and players are no longer queued to the game servers on this region. You will notice that with a message saying "Your region is currently disabled.." when you join a game.

Why?

When a region has too less players, it's gonna be hard for players to find matches, especially during night time. To mitigate that issue, disabled regions will be queued to other regions as well. If you're playing on the disabled EU region for example, you'll be queued to US games so you have enough people to play with.

Overall game servers are spread throughout regions, and playing on a different game server region than you are currently connected to on proxy-level will negatively effect your ping.

All the proxies share the same pool of servers, but the region you are playing on will be taken into account when matchmaking, preferring a game in your own region over a game in another one.

I hope this can clear some things up,
Tobias Grether @ NetherGames

DeathStorm3514

This is useful. I always wanted to know what is upstream and down stream and why my ping changes in game. But another question. My skin. I use my skin and sometimes it says skin is invalid and it is Steve but other times it working

N

Nubmaster69

I u

throughout the last time we have repeatedly seen people complaining about high pings and issues with pings and we believe that for players to judge on their ping, they need to understand how NetherGames' region system is working.

Now, it's important to mention that the server you are initially online when joining should not be used as an indicator for your ping, as the first server is selected randomly and does not take regions into account.

The upstream latency is the latency between your Minecraft client and the NetherGames region proxy you are currently connected to. If that's high, then your internet connection is bad or you are connected to a region which is far away from you (use play.nethergames.org to automatically join the closest region possible).

The downstream latency is the latency between our proxy and the game server you are currently connected to. If it is high, this can have one main reasons:

You are connected to a disabled region: To save resources, if a certain region has less than a specified amount of players, it gets disabled and players are no longer queued to the game servers on this region. You will notice that with a message saying "Your region is currently disabled.." when you join a game.

Why?

When a region has too less players, it's gonna be hard for players to find matches, especially during night time. To mitigate that issue, disabled regions will be queued to other regions as well. If you're playing on the disabled EU region for example, you'll be queued to US games so you have enough people to play with.

Overall game servers are spread throughout regions, and playing on a different game server region than you are currently connected to on proxy-level will negatively effect your ping.

All the proxies share the same pool of servers, but the region you are playing on will be taken into account when matchmaking, preferring a game in your own region over a game in another one.

i Understand but even when there is no lag whatsoever, ladders don’t work

CryptdBot32

This is useful. I always wanted to know what is upstream and down stream and why my ping changes in game. But another question. My skin. I use my skin and sometimes it says skin is invalid and it is Steve but other times it working
Yes this happens to me as well quite often really.

IYSTREEM186

Why?

can u please bring factions back??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks